MANJIT ILLUSTRATOR | LONG LINE INTERVIEW

/ 8.02.2014



















Manjit an amazing -and one of my very favorite- illustrators from Tumblr. I got the great opportunity to ask her some questions for our space here called "Long Line Interview" where you can get inspired by awesome artists.    I've been following her for a long time on Tumblr and I got very interesting in all the beautiful illustrations that she made.  She was so friendly, even though we only talked through the Internet -but I hope to meet her one day personally. I know you're going to fall in love with all her drawings as I did.  Also, you can check out her shop here. No more words to say, I'm very happy to share her art work with you.  



-Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live?
My name is Manjit and I am 20 years old and currently studying Illustration in the UK.




-Did you go to school to study illustration?
Yes, after sixth form college I went on to do a foundation course in art and design and then chose to study Illustration at university.

-When & how did you first become interested in painting and drawing?
I’ve had an interest in art for as long as I can remember, I loved drawing and making little crafts when I was little! I started becoming more seriously interested in art when I started secondary school though. 





-Can you tell us about your design process? How does a single piece go from an idea in your head to a finished product?
Sometimes I have a faint idea of what I’m going to do but sometimes I’ll just start sketching till I figure something out. I start by doing a rough pencil sketch and then make a cleaner version, I sometimes also make separate patterns and textures that I might want to include. I scan all of this and put it together on Photoshop.

-Do you have a favorite thing to make?
I like drawing girls the most!



-What are your plans for the future?
I hope to continue with Illustration in some way!

-What are some of your favorite places to hang out where you live ?
I like going to the shopping centre and cinema, I’m pretty boring and always end up going to the same places ha. I study in London so I love visiting the galleries and museums there such as the Tate and V&A.


-Do you have any secret talents or weird hobbies you're into?
Not that I can think of, but I wish I did!

-We know that each of us has someone or something, which inspires our life and work. Can you tell us the true basis of your inspiration?
I get a lot of my main inspiration from books, movies, music and fashion. Sometimes it can come from little things, like the colour scheme in a photo or a pattern I see.

-What is your dream project?
My dream project would be combining my illustrations with clothing in some way! 

-What are you currently listening to?
The National, The XX, Drake, Blood Orange, 


-What do like to do when you're not drawing?
I like listening to music, reading and catching up on some of my favourite tv shows, I’m super late to the party but I’ve been obsessively watching Orange Is The New Black, I’ve been watching it while I draw!

-Do you have any advice for people that want to do the same thing you do?

Draw as much as you can and keep yourself inspired and motivated to create. I would recommend setting up a blog and posting your work; even if it’s just for yourself I find it very helpful to look back at my old work.







If you enjoyed the interview, please don't forget to share it with friends. Also, don't forget to comment and tell me what you think!


2 comments

  1. oh my, amazing art!

    http://www.mesmemosphotoblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

© Karolayn Corzo. Design:Maira Gall.