JUDE DIAS | LONG LINE INTERVIEW

/ 11.18.2014










A few months ago while I was browssing Tumblr in search of some typography designs, I came across some photos that had inspirational quotes (you know, the kind that keep you thinking). While I was searching for who the original poster was, I found an amazing blog that had so many incredible posts! The author of the blog was Jude Dias, a self-taught designer from London. I was so surprised and inspired when I found out how dedicated Dias is to his work, and how involved he is in his ministry, "Walk the Same." In order to learn more about his life work, I asked if he would be willing to participate in an interview. 
I love suporting talented artists like Jude Dias. I hope this upcoming interview will help and inspire you! 


Tell us a little bit about yourself and where you live?
My name is Jude Dias, I just hit 25 and I currently live in London, UK. I would definitely say that am a perfectionist but not like one of those crazy ones. I’m the kind of person who, if something doesn’t hit a certain benchmark, I’d definitely give it another go and probably just another until I am satisfied.  

Did you go to school to study Design/Typography?
I did not. In terms of design it was just some talent that I only improved and sharpened through self-teaching. There was a phase where I wished that I could’ve gone to school to specifically learn about design and typography but now with online classes such as the awesome Skillshare and Udemy, it really helps me a lot and much of what I have learnt comes from resources online and inspiration from other artists around me. 
However just so you know, I have an Undergraduate Degree in Aeronautical Engineering as well as a Masters Degree in Computing.

When & how did you first become interested in Design/Typography?
I’ve been interested in design and typography for as long as I can remember. Just seeing work from others and what they can do to impact society and people only helped my interest in the area grow stronger. 

Can you tell us about your design process? How does a single piece go from an idea in your head to a finished product?
Usually I get those “light-bulb” moments and when I do get one of those, I quickly pencil down that thought or imaged that simply crashed into my head. From that point onwards, I refine it (with the pencil again) to an actual piece on paper and then if everything looks good, I pen it down so that the piece remains permanently on paper. From that point onwards, it’s just a matter of digitizing the artwork which involves scanning the artwork and perfecting it using Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. 


Do you have a favorite thing to make?
I love typography and I love using it to share the message of Christ to people around me. I am a Christian and I love using the skills and talent that I have to share the gospel. I truly believe that it is an interesting and effective medium when it comes to the aspect of sharing. 

What are your plans for the future?
I am part of a Christian ministry called Walk the Same (WTS) which I founded. I also lead the creative team there and in terms of the future, expansion for WTS is something that I am looking forward to, especially the creative team we have there. In parallel to this, I hope to start my own design studio as well.

What are some of your favorite places to hang out where you live ?
To be honest, home is where I hang out the most because I am always busy burying my nose in pen and paper. But when I am not home, I do like to go to this awesome public park called Kenwood House that is just 5 minutes away from where I live. It is such a wonderful place to get in some fresh air and to soak in the beauty around. It also helps me personally as a source of inspiration.


Do you have any secret talents or weird hobbies you're into?
I consider myself to be an expert at spinning coins. I can spin a coin from mid-air, let it touch the ground and it will still keep on spinning. I’m not sure if that is a real talent but eh! I like to think it is ☺

We know that each of us has someone or something, which inspires our life and work. Can you tell us the true basis of your inspiration?
Definitely God. I truly believe that He is the source of all inspiration and if not for Him, then I know that I am as broken as a burnt out light bulb. 

What is your dream project?
Every year Hillsong has a major conference (appropriately named Hillsong Conference) that takes place around the world. They have a fantastic design team who dives down deep just to design from A-Z for this conference. Just to be able to contribute and be part of that design process is definitely a dream for me. 

What are you currently listening to?
Coolkids by Echosmith. Love the song. 

What do like to do when you're not Designing?
When I am not designing, I like to watch movies or get myself into gaming on my Xbox. The last movie I watched was The Hundred Foot Journey which I highly recommend and right now my favourite game to play is Battlefield 4.

Do you have any advice for people that want to do the same thing you do?
I would like to start off by saying – Follow your passion. If there is something that you wish to pursue, it needs to be your passion as well and unless it is your passion, you are very likely to end up getting bored and/or angry with what you do. I pursued design eventually instead of getting myself into an engineering field (which was what I went to University for) because I realized that it was my passion along the way. And the good news is, I don’t regret my decision. 
Next I would also like to say that you shouldn’t give up even when what you do doesn’t produce a perfect result. Perfection comes with practice. Surround yourself with people and works that inspire your and anything that you feel would directly benefit you in the long run in terms of design. 
And most of all, try to mix with people who support and encourage you with what you do. It goes a long way. 


No comments

Post a Comment

© Karolayn Corzo. Design:Maira Gall.